Tuesday, July 27, 2010

REALity TV.

Okay, so ever since The Biggest Loser came on TV, I have been obsessed. I don't really know why, but I think it's just the general idea that a person can experience that caliber of radical change to their body and mind in such a short amount of time that initially captivated me and still does till this day.

If you ask me what reality TV show I would want to be on, my answer has always been The Biggest Loser. I have gotten some mighty odd looks when I say this, because I am not exactly the typical candidate: I am a six foot tall girl that weighs the normal amount that a 19 year old girl that is six feet tall should (there is no way I will post my weight on the internet; it's against girl code). Most contestants on this show are severely overweight, so much that it is threatening their quality of life. So obviously I know that I am never going to be on The Biggest Loser, but hey, a girl can dream, right?

After I give my reply to the posed question about reality TV, I, more often than not, get either: a)stared at
b)laughed at
c)given this look that says "Oh my word, this girl is has a terrible body image."

But, in all reality, my reasoning for wanting to go on this show is because I want to see if I could handle Bob and Jillian's super INTENSE workouts and if they could help me tone my body and get rid of the little pooch that has been on my stomach since the good ole days back when I was about 5 or 6 years old and I drank around eight cups of apple juice a day and my stomach was lovingly referred to as "The Mollie Belly" by my family.

All that being said, I think my dreams of going on The Biggest Loser may have changed yesterday..

I was talking to a girl that I work with and she just started the Thirty Day Shred, which is a workout video by Jillian Michaels. You do this video workout for thirty days to shred off the unwanted pounds (the name is pretty self-explanatory, but I like to simplify things for fun). The girl I work with said that it was hard, but not too bad. I was like well I love Jillian on BL (Biggest Loser) so I most definitely need to purchase this program and get to work!

I go to Walmart that afternoon and am looking at the workout DVD selection. I see the Thirty Day Shred and read a little about it. I am about to walk away, when another Jillian workout catches my eye. No More Trouble Zones. This workout is all about toning the flabby zones, which is just what I want! So I make the purchase and head home (stopping at Wendy's on the way for lunch, counterproductive? yep.) I eat and then let my food settle, anxious to try out the workout.

I pop in the DVD, get my mat and weights set up and start the workout. About 10 minutes later, I am dripping sweat and it is starting to burn. Twenty minutes in, my body stops moving when I tell it to move. Thirty minutes? I am laying on the ground, hearing Jillian say in the background "Don't quit, don't give up!" I make myself get up and do as much of the workout that I can muster, but I barely made it through the whole 50 minute DVD alive. Yes, I am a little bit out of shape and eating the Wendy's chicken nuggets before probably didn't do much help, but oh my goodness gracious. I haven't been that worn out from a workout in a longggggggg long time.

So, needless to say, Jillian's video kicked my booty. Literally.

After doing this workout, I am beginning to rethink my desire to go on The Biggest Loser. I just don't know if I could live solely to workout for five months. Five whole months devoted to working out, every minute of every day. That's crazy talk. I think I'll just stick to going to the gym a few times a week and doing Jillian's videos on occasion.

As for the question of what reality TV show would want to be on, my new answer would have to be....
drum roll please...
daaaaaa.daaaaaaa.daaaaa.....
The Amazing Race!


No comments:

Post a Comment